Personal Information you provide to the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority (“GBRMPA”) is protected by the Privacy Act 1988 (“Privacy Act”). The Privacy Act provides for 13 Australian Privacy Principles (“APP’s”) that regulate how GBRMPA must handle your personal information.
Your personal information is being collected by GBRMPA when you browse our ReefEd website. Our Internet Service Provider makes a record of all users and logs (in server logs) the following information for statistical purposes:
- Your server and assigned IP address
- Your top level domain name (for example, .com, .gov, .au)
- Your operating system (for example, Windows, MAC)
- The date and time of your visit to the site
- The pages accessed and documents downloaded
- The previous site you visited
- The type of browser used.
No attempt will be made to identify you or your browsing activities except in the event of a legal investigation where a law enforcement agency may exercise their legal authority to inspect the Internet Service Provider’s logs.
If GBRMPA is unable to collect your personal information the product or service you have requested may not be met to your satisfaction.
Who we give your personal information to
GBRMPA does not use your information for an alternate purpose or share your personal information with other government agencies, organisations or any other third party unless one of the following applies:
- You would reasonably expect us to use or disclose the information for the alternate purpose and that alternate purpose is related to the primary purpose of collection;
- Use or disclosure of the information is required or authorised by or under an Australian law or court/tribunal;
- A permitted general situation exists pursuant to s 16A of the Privacy Act; or
- We reasonably believe that the use or disclosure of your information is reasonably necessary for one or more enforcement related activities conducted by, or on behalf of, an enforcement body.
If you send us an email message or enter your email on a form on our website it will not be added to a mailing list without your consent.
Reef ED has taken strong measures to protect the security of your personal information and to ensure that your choices for its intended use are honoured. We take strong precautions to protect your data from loss, misuse, unauthorised access or disclosure, alteration, or destruction.
You should note, however, that there are inherent risks associated with transmission of information via the Internet. Therefore you should make your own assessment of the potential risks to the security of your information when making a decision as to whether or not to transmit information to Reef ED by electronic means. If you do not wish to transmit information to Reef ED by use of public networks such as the Internet, you can contact us using our details outlined below.
How to contact us
Phone: Townsville Head Office: + 61 7 4750 0700
Fax: Townsville Head Office: + 61 7 4772 6093
Postal address: Townsville Head Office
2-68 Flinders Street
PO Box 1379
Townsville QLD 4810
- access and seek correction of your personal information; and
- complain to GBRMPA about a breach of the APPs and how GBRMPA will deal with such a complaint.
More information on privacy and the Privacy Act is available from the Office of the Australian Information Commissionerwww.oaic.gov.au.
Links to Other Sites