Home Contact Us View Sitemap Size Text Larger Text Smaller
Onboard - Tourism Operator's Handbook for the Great Barrier Reef

Know Your Permit

Emergency Breakdown

If you need to quickly change the vessel or aircraft that you are using, there are ways for you to nominate another vessel or aircraft. This will let you keep operating even when you have had a mechanical breakdown or unforeseen problems.

017 017186

Your permit is like a key to accessing the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park and Great Barrier Reef Coast Marine Park. Each one is unique, providing different levels and types of access. They are powerful legal documents and it is your responsibility to understand and comply with all parts of your Marine Parks permit. If you do not understand your permit, contact the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority for an explanation of the various conditions.

Your Marine Parks permit will look like the one below. Please take the time to read it. Start with the definitions so you understand the specific management terms used in your permit. There are a number of management 'buzz words' that you may need to understand. Then make sure you check the key aspects of the permit especially where you can go, what you can do and any conditions that apply.

The person(s) or company named on the permit (the permittee) is responsible for all operations under that permit. Because permits are granted with protection of the environment in mind, failure to adhere to your permit may result in severe penalties.

Image supplied courtesy of Tourism Queensland

Marine Parks Permits Form

Move your mouse over the yellow regions to learn more about the Marine Parks Permit Form.

Flash plugin is required for animated version

Deed of agreement

One of your permit conditions is that you comply with a Deed of Agreement attached to the permit. You will be required to sign this Deed and return it to the GBRMPA.

Endorsements and authorisations

Some Marine Parks permits allow you to conduct a tourism activity that has been capped or limited and therefore not generally available. This is often shown as an endorsement on your permit. With some older Marine Parks permits it was advised in a formal letter of authorisation.

What if I misplace my permit?

If your permit is misplaced or damaged and you want a new copy, you can request this from the GBRMPA. The Permit Administrative Fee cost is available from the Permit application assessment fees page. To speed the process you can fax your request along with a completed Permit Administrative Fee payment form (see Download form below) to the GBRMPA.

Download form

Permit Administrative Fee Payment Form - 226.9 kb

get Acrobat


© Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority