Home Contact Us View Sitemap Size Text Larger Text Smaller
Onboard - Tourism Operator's Handbook for the Great Barrier Reef

Changing Your Permit

Download the application form

Permit Variation Form To request a variation to your permit please complete a Permit Variation Application Form - 232.9 kb

get Acrobat

Changing your vessel

You may also want to have flexibility about the vessel or aircraft that you use under the permit. There are a number of ways that you can nominate the vessel or aircraft you wish to operate.


As your operation grows or your business plans change, you may wish to change aspects of your permit. Most changes will require additional assessment and a new permit to be issued. Occasionally, minor changes can be achieved through a variation to your existing permit.

There are special arrangements in place if disaster strikes and you need rapid changes to your permit to allow you to keep operating.

How do I request a change?

If you find that you need to change your permit to better meet your operating needs, please contact the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority (GBRMPA) to check whether you require a new permit or your existing permit can be varied.

How do I apply for a new permit?

If you are advised that a new permit is required, then you should make a permit application and submit it to the GBRMPA. A Permit Application Assessment Fee will apply.

If your permit is a special tourism permission, the assessment will not consider the amount you have used your permit, providing you keep your current expiry date.

How do I apply for a permit variation?

To request a variation to your permit please complete a Permit Variation Application Form (see Download the application form) and return a hard copy to the GBRMPA. Before you send the form, check that:

  • All the permit details are correct
  • You have clearly described the changes you would like
  • The form has been signed by the correct people.

How much does a permit variation cost?

The Permit Variation Fee is $380 (valid to 1 January 2013).

You may pay the fee when you apply for the variation (see the second page of the form). Otherwise, you will be sent an invoice that must be paid within 10 days or the application will lapse.

© Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority