Home Contact Us View Sitemap Size Text Larger Text Smaller
Onboard - Tourism Operator's Handbook for the Great Barrier Reef

15 Year Permits

Download the application form

Permit Application Form for tourism operations and structures - 1.0 Mb

get Acrobat


You may be eligible to apply for a 15-year permit if you can prove you operate to a high standard within the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park.

Operations are identified as high standard by being certified with an approved external certification scheme.

If you wish to apply for a 15-year permit for a certified tourism operation you will need to complete the usual Marine Parks application form (see Download the application form) and provide evidence of certification. The application will be assessed as normal and an assessment fee will apply.

You can apply for a 15-year permit at any time following certification, you do not need to wait for your current permit to expire.

The Deed of Agreement for a 15-year permit has some additional provisions relating to your certification arrangements and the permit itself includes a condition about maintaining your certification. There may also be some updating of other conditions.

If the permit is a Special Tourism Permission, the amount you have used the permit will be considered as part of the assessment process. If your permit was issued before 15 April 2004 and allows regular access to the Hinchinbrook Planning Area, your eligibility to retain that regular access will also be assessed.

Fifteen-year permits may be transferred in the same way as other tourism permits. The new permittee will be given a reasonable time to achieve certification, otherwise the permit will need to be converted to a standard 6-year permit.

© Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority